Bariatric Education Day
The material discussed during this 1-day course will be geared toward customizing obesity treatment for improved wellbeing. We will have both national and local presenters speak about these vital topics that affect patient outcomes. There will also be time allotted for participants to have their questions answered during the panel discussions.
This conference is intended for multidisciplinary members who work with obese patients; these include bariatricians, psychologists, registered nurses, registered dietitians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and program managers.
- Paul Batalden, MD; Emeritus Professor, The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Geisel School of Medicine - Coproduction
- Jamy Ard, MD; Professor, Epidemiology and Prevention, Wake Forest School of Medicine – Anti-obesity Medication as an Adjunct to Bariatric Surgery
- Angela Fitch, MD, FACP, FOMA; Associate Director, Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Center; Faculty, Harvard Medical School; Vice President, Obesity Medicine Association - Obesity Overview
- Shanu Kothari, MD; Vice Chair of Medical Staff Affairs, Prisma Health; Adjunct Faculty, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health – Customizing the Surgical Procedure with the Patient in Mind
- Luke Laffin, MD; Medical Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation, Preventive Cardiologist, Cleveland Clinic – Obesity, Adiposity, and Hypertension
Following completion of this activity, learners should be better able to:
- Describe the coproduction model.
- Identify customized weight loss interventions based on patient’s readiness for change.
- Summarize the data related to obesity and heart disease.
- Describe outcomes related heart disease and weight loss surgery.
- Evaluate the risks and benefits treatment responses.
- Identify plateaus and predictions of low-calorie diet obesity treatment measures.
University of Minnesota Medical School, Interprofessional Continuing Education
University of Minnesota, Department of Surgery
Daniel Leslie, MD; University of Minnesota Department of Surgery
Bridget Slusarek, RN, BSN, MBA; Fairview Health System
Disclosure of Commercial Support
An Acknowledgement of Support will be posted onsite for all activities that have received funding from educational grants.
In support of improving patient care, University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit Designation Statements
American Medical Association (AMA)
The University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education designates this live activity for a maximum of 9.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
This activity is awarded up to 9.25 ANCC contact hours.
Minnesota Board of Dietetics and Nutrition Practice
An application has been submitted to the Minnesota Board of Dietetics and Nutrition Practice; determination of credit is pending.
Minnesota Board of Psychology
This activity has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Psychology for 9.5 CEs.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Other healthcare professionals who participate in this CE activity may submit their statement of participation to their appropriate accrediting organizations or state boards for consideration of credit. The participant is responsible for determining whether this activity meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education.
Early Rate: On or before February 13, 2020
Other Healthcare Professional: $125
Medical Industry Professional: $225
Resident/Fellow/Student: Fee Waived
Regular Rate: After February 14, 2020
Other Healthcare Professional: $200
Medical Industry Professional: $300
Resident/Fellow/Student: Fee Waived
Registration includes continental breakfast, lunch and light refreshment breaks.
Printed course materials cannot be guaranteed for onsite/walk-in registrants. Access to online course materials is provided in advance of the activity to registered learners. To ensure you receive all course materials before the start of the activity, please register in advance.
At least 3 registrations from the same group must be submitted to receive a $20 discount per person. Register each person separately online and enter group discount code 3GRP16 into the discount box during checkout. Or email the completedgroup registration form to email@example.com. NO refunds will be issued if a person from a group has to cancel or does not show up at the conference. Normal refund policy applies for complete group cancellations.
Special needs such as dietary restrictions, lactation room, etc. should be indicated in advance; requests cannot always be honored on site.
CPD may take photos/video of participants at CPD events and these may appear in CPD's promotional materials. Your attendance constitutes your permission and consent for photography and video subsequent usage.
We gratefully acknowledge the following organizations for their financial contributions to this activity:
- Bariatric Advantage
- ENDO Pharmaceuticals
- Ethicon US, LLC
- Gore & Associates
- Melrose Center
- Microline Surgical, Inc.
- Novo Nordisk
(List current as of 1/21/2020)