Bariatric Education Days: An Integrated Approach to Treating Obesity
This one-and-a-half-day event, exclusively for health care practitioners, will focus on the latest advances in the care and treatment of bariatric patients. National and local leaders, scholars and experts will present on a variety of topics designed to improve the way you approach bariatric care.
Providing excellent care means knowing as much as possible about available treatment options. Join us for the 2017 Bariatric Education Days conference. This one-and-a-half-day event, exclusively for health care practitioners, will focus on the latest advances in the care and treatment of bariatric patients. National and local leaders, scholars and experts will present on a variety of topics designed to improve the way you approach bariatric care.
Learn how the state of Minnesota is working to fight obesity and promote a healthy lifestyle in its communities. Attendees will also have the opportunity to participate in panel discussions throughout the conference and a special surgical video session on Thursday evening.
This conference is intended for multidisciplinary members of the bariatric surgery and weight management team, including bariatric surgeons, nurses, nurse coordinators, program managers, dieticians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and psychologists. The material will also be valuable for primary care providers, insurance medical directors, insurance case managers, and hospital administrators.
- Adolescent Obesity
- Behavioral and Psychological Factors Related to Obesity
- Current Research
- Surgical Video Sessions
- Community Measurement
- Medical Weight Management
- Comorbidity Treatment Before & After Surgery
- Review of Obesity Guidelines
Following completion of this activity, learners should be better able to:
- Describe adolescent obesity trends and opportunities for treatment to improve the overall health of the adolescent patient.
- Review current research outcomes regarding adolescence and weight loss surgery.
- Discuss appropriate management of patients with type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, pulmonary disease and obesity.
- Evaluate risks and benefits of weight loss drugs.
- Examine new research and advances in bariatric medicine and surgical intervention.
University of Minnesota Department of Surgery
Daniel Leslie, MD
Department of Surgery
University of Minnesota
Bridget Slusarek, RN, BSN
System Director, Comprehensive Weight Management Services
Fairview Health Services
In support of improving patient care, University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit Designation Statements
American Medical Association (AMA)
The University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education designates this live activity for a maximum of 12.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
This activity is awarded up to 12.5 ANCC contact hours.
Minnesota Board of Psychology
This activity has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Psychology (Board Assigned Log #201702.151) for 12.5 continuing education hours.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Other healthcare professionals who participate in this CE activity may submit their statement of participation to their appropriate accrediting organizations or state boards for consideration of credit. The participant is responsible for determining whether this activity meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education.
Early Rate: On or Before April 27, 2017
Other Healthcare Professionals: $225
Regular Rate: After April 27, 2017
Other Healthcare Professionals: $300
Special needs, such as dietary restrictions, lactation room, etc., should be requested in advance. These requests cannot always be honored on site.
CPD may take photos/video of participants at CPD events and these may appear in CPD's promotional materials. Your attendance constitutes your permission and consent for photography and video subsequent usage.
A block of sleeping rooms is available at the discounted rate of $169 single or double per night plus tax, a savings of $100 from the regular rate! Please make your reservations directly with the hotel by the cut-off date of May 3, 2017. To make your reservation online, click here or use Promotional Code: UNIVMN on the main booking page; to make your reservation over the phone, call 1-800-333-3333 and ask for the Bariatric Education Days rate. Reservations will be accepted on space and rate availability.
- The hotel boasts 500 superb guest rooms and suites where guests can enjoy one of three fashion-inspired Urban, Naturally Cool or Mansion House room styles, all of which include amenities such as complimentary high-speed, wireless Internet, flat-screen televisions and individual climate control.
- Guests also enjoy complimentary 24-hour access to the hotel's Fitness Center, which includes a fully equipped fitness room, indoor pool and spa.
Complimentary parking is available on site.
Acknowledgement of Support
We gratefully acknowledge the following organizations for their financial contributions to this activity:
- Bariatric Advantage
- Boehringer Labs/NorthStar Surgical
- Gore & Associates
- Mallinckrodt Phamaceuticals
- Novo Nordisk
- University of Minnesota Health
- U.S. Army Healthcare
(List current as of 3/15/17)