Twin Cities Sports Medicine Conference - Marathon Weekend
Optional Thursday evening pre-conference session starts at 6pm. Main conference is 7:45am-5pm on Friday.
200 SE Oak St
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Thursday evening pre-conference sessions (optional) and all day Friday interactive sessions provide health care professionals with the latest treatment updates for commonly diagnosed sports medicine issues, focusing on return to play issues.
The Twin Cities Sports Medicine Conference is a dynamic conference providing health care professionals with the latest treatment updates for commonly diagnosed sports medicine issues, focusing on return to play issues. This one-day interactive conference will equip healthcare providers with practical solutions through hands-on workshops, engaging talks, case discussions, question-and-answer periods, and panel presentations. Speakers include local and nationally recognized experts.
Thursday evening optional pre-conference workshops
- Introduction to Ultrasound-Guided Injections (MD emphasis) Following completion of this activity, learners should be better able to describe the indications, billing and documentation required for MSK ultrasound injections as well as recognize pertinent anatomy and pathology associated with common injections. Learners will have hands-on opportunities to practice ultrasound-guided injection technique.
- Return to Play After Lower Extremity Injury (PT/ATC emphasis) End-stage rehab considerations and lower extremity performance testing for s/p ACL-R.
This conference is ideal for sports medicine physicians, primary care physicians, physiatrists, physical therapists, athletic trainers and other sports‐related healthcare professionals who take care of athletes.
- Return to Play After:
- Medical Issues
- Upper & Lower Extremity Injuries
- Kinesiophobia & Sports Psychology
Upper Extremity Performance Testing
Robert C. Manske, PT, DPT, MPT, MEd, SCS, ATC, CSCS; Professor and Chair of the Doctoral Physical Therapy Program, Wichita State University
Return to Play
Brandon Mines, MD; Assistant Professor of Orthopaedics & Family Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine
- Specific Strength Training
- Sideline Diagnosis with Ultrasound
- Sideline & Office-Based Assessments (VOMS Testing)
- Upper Extremity Performance Testing
- Physical Examination of the Shoulder, Hand and Wrist
Upon completion of this educational activity, learners should be better able to
- Promote the sports medicine team approach for the treatment and management of sports-related injuries.
- Discuss the medical considerations in determining return to play in complicated medical issues.
- Explain return to learn and manage student athletes' return to school activities.
- Describe non-operative and operative management of in-season shoulder injury.
- Discuss current issues in sports psychology and identify when to refer to a professional.
Program in Sports Medicine - Department of Family Medicine & Community Health
David Olson, MD
Bradley Nelson, MD
Peter S. Ames, PT, PhD, SCS
In support of improving patient care, University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit Designation Statements
American Medical Association (AMA)
The University of Minnesota, Interprofessional Continuing Education designates this live activity for a maximum of 9.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This course qualifies for 9.5 Category 1 credits under Minnesota rule MN Rule 5601.2400, Subpart 1, A.
Certified Athletic Trainers
University of Minnesota - CME (BOC AP# P651) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 9.5 EBP Category hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
Other Healthcare Professionals
Other healthcare professionals who participate in this CE activity may submit their statement of participation to their appropriate accrediting organizations or state boards for consideration of credit. The participant is responsible for determining whether this activity meets the requirements for acceptable continuing education.
Early rate: On or before August 31, 2017
Other Healthcare Professionals: $175
UMN / M Health Resident/Fellow/Student: $50
Concurrent Sessions -Thursday Evening:
Pre-Conference: Introduction to Ultrasound-Guided Injections (MD emphasis) $50
Pre-Conference: Return to Play After Lower Extremity Injury (PT/ATC emphasis) $50
UMN/M Health Resident/Fellow/Student $25
Regular rate: After August 31, 2017
Other Healthcare Professionals: $225
Medical Industry Professional: $50
Concurrent Sessions - Thursday Evening:
Pre-Conference: Introduction to Ultrasound-Guided Injections (MD emphasis) $65
Pre-Conference: Return to Play After Lower Extremity Injury (PT/ATC emphasis) $65
UMN/M Health Resident/Fellow/Student $25
At least 3 registrations from the same group must be submitted to receive a $20 discount per person. You must register each person separately. Enter group discount code 3GRP3769 into the Promo Code during checkout. Group registration may also be submitted to email@example.com via the group registration form . NO refunds will be issued if a person from a group has to cancel or does not show up at the conference. Normal refund policy applies for complete group cancellations.
Marathon Runner Discount
Use code MARA17 during checkout to receive a $20 discount. You will need to provide your Marathon Registration Number.
Special needs such as dietary restrictions, lactation room, etc. should be indicated in advance; requests cannot always be honored on site.
CPD may take photos/video of participants at CPD events and these may appear in CPD's promotional materials. Your attendance constitutes your permission and consent for photography and video subsequent usage.
Acknowledgement of Support
We gratefully acknowledge the following organizations for their financial contributions to this activity:
- Arthrex, Inc.
- Bowen Medical
- Center for Diagnostic Imaging
- CEP/Topical Gear
- Ferring Pharmaceutical
- NovaCare Rehabilitation
- Stryker Sports Medicine
- SOTA, Inc.
- University of Minnesota Health Sports Medicine
(List current as of 9/13/17)