Maintenance of Certification
We are pleased to announce the University of Minnesota Health (M Health) has been approved as a Multi-Specialty Portfolio Program Sponsor through the American Board of Medical Specialties.
What this means:
The American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) offers healthcare organizations the opportunity to support and encourage physician involvement in internal quality improvement (QI) projects and initiatives while simultaneously supporting Maintenance of Certification (MOC) for physicians across multiple ABMS specialties. This program focuses exclusively on requirements for MOC Part IV "Practice Performance Assessment," and it approves institutions to award Part IV credit to physicians who participate in institutional quality improvement (QI) projects.
Twenty-one out of twenty-four certifying boards now participate in this national program which is called the "Portfolio Program."
How to obtain MOC Part IV credit:
- Discuss your project with the department-specific representatives and/or general MOC contacts (listed below) to address any questions and confirm eligibility.
- Complete the streamlined application(available in fillable PDF format) forward it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In order to claim credit, submit your completed attestation to the M Health MOC Review Board (MMRB) at email@example.com.
Please note: A separate completed attestation must be submitted for all individuals who meaningfully participated in the project and wish to claim credit for their involvement (to include the Principal Investigator who submitted the application).
What to expect next:
- The M Health MOC Review Board (MMRB) meets monthly and reviews submitted applications, completed project results, and completed attestations. NOTE: Given the timeline that exists, please plan accordingly when submitting your requests for credit (i.e., to allow sufficient time for review/approval and posting of credits, you should submit your requests and completed documentation 5-6 months prior to your recertification due date).
- If the application is determined to qualify for the ABMS requirements for project design and scope, it will be approved for MOC Part IV credit. If additional information or clarification is required, you will be given feedback in that regard. In all cases, you will receive notification of the results of the review from the M Health MOC Review Board (within 3 days of each review meeting) by email.
- The M Health MOC Review Board (MMRB) will enter the project completion data into the MOC Activity Manager. Those physicians who have meaningfully participated in the QI work will receive their MOC Part IV (QI) credit from their respective board.
Receiving credits from your respective board:
- Once approved, the credit/points granted will appear in your online Specialty Board portfolio within 6-10 weeks (each Board’s timeline varies). If the update does not appear within that timeframe, we ask you contact the M Health MOC Review Board (firstname.lastname@example.org) and they will follow-up with the specific board.
Contact MOC representatives to:
- have a question answered
- request an application
- discuss a specific QI project
Please contact your departmental MOC represenative. All other departments without an identified representative should contact Andrea Barrett or Doug Zech.
Department of Pediatrics
Jordan Marmet, M.D.
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health
David Satin, M.D.
Department of Medicine
Tanya Melnik, M.D.
All other departments, contact:
Andrea Barrett, MPH
Performance Improvement staff representative
For general MOC project inquiries email: